Guides, blogs, tutorials and more written by regular hobbyists - because in Warhammer sometimes enthusiasm is more important than skill!

#… no excuses today?!

Getting some hands-on experience with bovine camouflage! 🐮

Our posts may sometimes contain affiliate links.

This update is actually from last night’s work. That’s right, updates two days in a row! No excuses! Madness!

Last night’s hobby hour got interrupted early, but I still managed to get a little more done.
Here is our tank before I started working on it – the texture is nice, but there’s a few areas that I apparently didn’t stipple properly. These will get fixed later.

Chimera

From here I threw a load more putty round and tried to cover everything I hadn’t already. When I was done we had this:

Excuses #X: Chimera front
Excuses #X: Chimera back

First step done!

Now onto the second step. Before I started this project I asked in the TRFT Patreon Discord server for suggestions, and Stephan (no social links – you’ll have to join if you want to see his work!) kindly threw loads of useful stuff at me. One of these was to use Mr Surfacer, which I’ve kind of done with the putty. Another was to use watered down texture pastes, which I’m about to kind of do. Keep in mind that if any of this goes wrong it’s all Stephan’s fault ðŸ˜‰

Now the only texture paste I have is an old pot of Vallejo Black Lava. It’s starting to dry out but there’s plenty of usable paste still.

Excuses #X: Vallejo Black Lava

Logic (and Stephan) would suggest to thin it a little. I didn’t do that. Instead I took another cheap brush (two have already been thoroughly destroyed in this project) and got to work. I had planned to be careful and focus on corners and recesses, but what I actually did was stab like a madman until I started to run out of places to actually hold the tank. Once it’s dry I’ll be able to go back and check for spots that still look too smooth, but until then we’re left with some rather fetching cow camo ðŸ˜

Excuses #X: cow camo

Once I’m done with the physical texturing I’ll be able to move into priming. I had been planning to use a rattlecan for ease, and so that if the finish wasn’t great (gotta love British weather and a heavy trigger-finger!) it would add to the rough surface, but now I’m concerned that I might actually end up smoothing out the finer textures. I’ll more than likely end up getting the airbrush out, but thoughts are welcome!

No more hobby time this week, so hopefully another update early next week 🙂

pawl
pawlhttps://thewarpstorm.com
pawl has been an on/off hobbyist since the late nineties but still possesses significantly more enthusiasm for the hobby as a whole than skill with a brush, and so is always on the hunt for fast, easy and lazy techniques that give good results. Despite this he sometimes still attempts to paint Space Marine helmet lenses, and occasionally even manages to stay within the lines!

Related Articles

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline feedbacks
View all comments

Support us

spot_img

Latest Articles

0
We would love to know your thoughts, please comment below! 🙂x
()
x