Guides, blogs, tutorials and more written by regular hobbyists - because in Warhammer sometimes enthusiasm is more important than skill!

#5: I simply stopped caring

I don't think I've painted a model this badly since I was about eleven years old. I'm not proud of what I have achieved!

Our posts may sometimes contain affiliate links.

Aenur is finished, and he is awful. Truly shameful. He was finished in a brief moment of spite with no painting light, no palette, a single big brush and a complete disregard for pretty much everything. The paintjob is at about the level I would have been pleased with when I was 11 years old, and yet I don’t care! His cloak has brush marks (and isn’t orange per the original plan simply because orange paint wasn’t the first thing I picked up), his gems are flat, I don’t know what’s going on with his skin, nothing is layered or highlighted and his base came from a teabag (the regular kind, not the fancy kind that actually has colours!) and a tobacco pouch (it seemed like it was worth trying). All in all he is a complete failure in every aspect but one: technically he’s a finished model – my first in a year or more. Everything has paint on it and the base isn’t plain. Well, it’s got something on it at least!

I’m not proud of him and he definitely won’t do, but now I can put him in a dark box to have a think about why he’s such a fiddly model to paint and I can pretend that he never existed!

Excuses #5 - Aenur is finished. And awful.
note: when you add water/iso and water/pva to the contents of a teabag they seemingly expand, and look nothing like they did while dry. They also make pools of awful tea! ☕

So now that I’ve totally given up on a model that I really didn’t enjoy from the moment I picked up a brush (but one day may come back to) I can focus on other things. Two, specifically: February’s Just One Model entry and more lizards.

For the J1M challenge I’m going to try a quick scheme test that I’m hoping will allow me to churn out a scary number of space robots in fairly minimal time. My plans for a Necron scheme involve an airbrushed silver zenithal, a little Contrast bronze and then a simple accent colour. All that would be left then is glow and power weapon effects, which is where I’ll likely end up spending most of my time! More details before the end of the month!

On the lizard front I’ve been tinkering a tiny bit with plastic again, but more importantly I’ve managed to grow my pile! After my eBay splurging in the last update I had a couple of boxes turn up in the post that mean I now have 23 Saurus Knights available to me. Twenty three! Ridiculous! 😁 (all those mould lines and awful saddle joins though!)

Excuse #5 - a pile of Seraphon sprues
Just the new plastic!

My plan is still to build everything I can first, and worry about painting later. This is partly because I’m running out of room for sprues, and partly because the scheme I wanted to paint is causing me a headache when I try to plan out how I would actually paint it. This may yet cause a rather drastic change in colours, but I have plenty of time to worry about that!

The next update will hopefully contain more of the same – a single finished model and a growing pile of grey lizards. Not exiting, but it’s the most actual modelling work I’ve done in a long time so I’m still pretty pleased with myself! 😁

pawl has been an on/off hobbyist since the late nineties but still possesses significantly more enthusiasm for the hobby as a whole than skill with a brush, and so is always on the hunt for fast, easy and lazy techniques that give good results. Despite this he sometimes still attempts to paint Space Marine helmet lenses, and occasionally even manages to stay within the lines!

Related Articles

Notify of
Inline feedbacks
View all comments

Support us


Latest Articles

We would love to know your thoughts, please comment below! 🙂x