This website sometimes uses affiliate links. Click here for more information.
As I may have mentioned before, I have a pretty limited amount of hobby time. There is a period of about an hour that comes up three times a week where I can do my thing. In addition to building and painting, ‘my thing’ also includes activities like reading, cleaning, tidying, staring at the walls and working on The Warp Storm. As of late the last point seems to have been my focus and it’s eaten into my hobby time.
Even still, despite being limited on opportunities to paint (and then being further hampered by the fact that half my hobby time is spent setting up and cleaning up) I at least managed to finish the model I pledged for the J1M challenge. It was intended as an attempt at painting Garfy’s Occiputek Dynasty in a lazier way involving less steps, and while only semi successful I did learn a little along the way. Mostly that trying to paint under Necron armour is an exercise in frustration, that my metallic zenithal was far too heavy and that oil paints are kinda cool. The next lazy-Occiputek test will come out better, I promise!
Towards the end I cut some serious corners though – I made a bit of a mess with the white on the gun (the orbs were meant to be black!) but didn’t clean it up, and I realised that I never bought the fluorescent paints I wanted so I just grabbed the first Contrast that came to hand and slathered it on over the top. Also the cable and the blade never got any work done to them. It’s cool though – this model was only ever a test and I had already learned all I wanted to, so this fella can be stripped before he gets his final scheme.
On the Lizard front I have done almost nothing since the last update, unfortunately. I need to dedicate a little more time to them instead of allowing myself to get distracted by thoughts like “I forgot to take the bin out” and “I should tidy up before I start modelling”.
Fortunately when I’m a little further down the road and ready to paint, my batch painting intentions will work nicely with my limited time – I can simply work with a single colour each session, reducing the amount of things I need to get out/pack away, and also reducing the amount of time wasted flitting between things.
I’ve also been thinking more about the colour scheme, but I think I’m going to save that for when I can knock up a good test model. 😉
pawl has been an on/off hobbyist since the late nineties but still possesses significantly more enthusiasm for the hobby as a whole than skill with a brush, and so is always on the hunt for fast, easy and lazy techniques that give good results. Despite this he sometimes still attempts to paint Space Marine helmet lenses, and occasionally even manages to stay within the lines!