This website sometimes uses affiliate links. Click here for more information.
In the last few blog entries you will have seen an old Chimera that I’ve been slowly turning to rust. When I left off I’d just started working on the initial basecoat layers, so let’s jump forward to present day. Here’s how the tank looks now:
Quite a jump, eh? Here’s the thing though, that’s all from about half an hour at the painting table!
The original plan was to chip my way up through various shades of brown and orange, and then simply see where I ended up. Go back with oils and enamels and pigments etc, and hope I could figure it out on the way. I quite clearly didn’t do that! What I did was I cheated. Well, kind of – there will be another post about ‘cheating’ at some point in the future.
Instead of following my original plan, I instead got a little bit heavy handed with some of the Dirty Down Rust that everybody has been talking about. It turns out that this stuff is pretty magic, but I’m going to save most of my words for a dedicated review post. Suffice it to say that I very quickly turned this thing into the abandoned rusty mess you see above! In truth it could do with some tidying up, and I should still go back and play with oils, enamels and filters, but I’m calling it ‘done for now’. It’s been annoying me out of the corner of my eye for too long, so I’m ignoring it for a bit!
I do however apologise to Vedras over on Lustria Online – I’ll finish my experimentation one day, just maybe on something a little smaller scale! Also to Stephan on the TRFT discord server, for not following yet more of his ideas!
In the meantime I also painted up this fella. He was only really intended as a purple colour test, but in the end I finished him off for the sake of both the TWS Just One Model event, and also for the DRPA challenge for August.
The purple didn’t really come out how I’d wanted, and I lost a lot of the contrast I was aiming for. I then managed to make an unholy mess with some oils (still not really sure what I’m doing with them!), so I just threw pigment powders everywhere and called it a day! I really should take some of the pigment back off, but I like the pose at least! Bonus points for anyone that’s old enough to tell me where the pointing arm is from!
You can see below that he was a little bit brighter before I started playing with the oils.
So that brings us pretty much up to speed. There are a few things in the pipeline, however. There’s the Dirty Down Rust review being written up, there’s two other ‘rambling words’ type posts being drafted, and just today I bought something that could make for an interesting tutorial, if I can get it to play nicely. Oh, and obviously this month’s J1M model! I’m not really sure where I think I’m going to find the time for it all around work, but we’ll see! Until next time…
pawl has been an on/off hobbyist since the late nineties but still possesses significantly more enthusiasm for the hobby as a whole than skill with a brush, and so is always on the hunt for fast, easy and lazy techniques that give good results. Despite this he sometimes still attempts to paint Space Marine helmet lenses, and occasionally even manages to stay within the lines!